The 1920′s are set to be HUGE in the fashion and styling world this spring/Summer – with the much anticipated movie ‘The Great Gatsby‘ from director Baz Luhrmann being released in May, we are getting more requests for 1920′s styling and attire at the shop.
In store we have created a delightful collection dedicated to the roaring twenties, bursting with pearls, drop waist dresses, silk, art deco homeware and lingerie.
“A fashionable flapper had short sleek hair, a shorter than average shapeless shift dress, a chest as flat as a board, wore make up and applied it in public, smoked with a long cigarette holder, exposed her limbs and epitomised the spirit of a reckless rebel who danced the nights away in the Jazz Age….”
Alice Tips on getting that 1920′s look …
* If you don’t want a short flapper length hem look for dresses with uneven, scalloped and handkerchief hemlines in floating fabrics – or tassles!
* The 1920′s silhouette was all about simple, clean straight lines with less emphasis on womanly curves. Dresses were looser fitting, chests flatter and the overall effect was a more masculine shape
* Women wore cloche hats pulled well over the eyes
* As an alternative to a hat – don a jewelled headband, beaded chain across the forehead or feathered / beaded tassled headress
* Accessories include: Beaded, small hand held handbags, strings of pearls or glass beads, gloves, art deco hair grips, feather boas, fur capes and brooches
* Coats often had fur shawl collars
* T-Bar shoes with low heels are key – The Mary Jane ankle strap button shoe was the style of the twenties