The 1920’s are set to be HUGE in the fashion and styling world this spring/Summer – with the much anticipated movie â€˜The Great Gatsbyâ€˜ from director Baz Luhrmann being released in May, we are getting more requests for 1920â€²s styling and attire at the shop.
In store we have created a delightful collection dedicated to the roaring twenties, bursting with pearls, drop waist dresses, silk, art deco homeware and lingerie.
“A fashionable flapper had short sleek hair, a shorter than average shapeless shift dress, a chest as flat as a board, wore make up and applied it in public, smoked with a long cigarette holder, exposed her limbs and epitomised the spirit of a reckless rebel who danced the nights away in the Jazz Age….”
Alice Tips on getting that 1920’s look …
* If you don’t want a short flapper length hem look for dresses with uneven, scalloped and handkerchief hemlines in floating fabrics – or tassles!
* The 1920’s silhouette was all about simple, clean straight lines with less emphasis on womanly curves. Dresses were looser fitting, chests flatter and the overall effect wasÂ a more masculine shape
* Women wore cloche hats pulled well over the eyes
* As an alternative to a hat – don a jewelled headband, beaded chain across the forehead or feathered / beaded tassled headress
* Accessories include: Beaded, small hand held handbags, strings of pearls or glass beads, gloves, art deco hair grips, feather boas, fur capes and brooches
* Coats often had fur shawl collars
* T-Bar shoes with low heels are key – The Mary Jane ankle strap button shoe was the style of the twenties
It’s that romantic time again!
Well – we think romance and love should be celebrated all year round – but hey, February seems a good a month as any to celebrate all things of the heart!
Our vintage valentines window was inspired by the delightful backstage scene of a ballet dressing room.
Filled with silk slips, tutu petticoats and pearls.
The French styled dresser and mirror is part of a full bedroom set for sale – please call us for details!
This past week in Wonderland has been full of pretty little animals and insects!
Customers have been going crazy for our ever growing selection of china and collectable ornaments,
a delightful mix of quirky, cute and kitsch.
From butterflies to bunny rabbits, we will post these lovelies on our Facebook page regularly –
and we can post out and take payment via paypal if you dont live near the store.
This month’s window is inspired by traditional folklore and Gypsy Romance.
The summer months here in Dorset offer some great folk festivals, with a relaxed vibe set out in the heart of the countryside, and atmospheric music.
Whilst listening to acoustic folk guitar music we filled our window with the whimsical delights that we associate with the historical elements of bohemian travellers, living close to nature and not so much the Swarovski covered ruffled dresses a’la ‘My big fat gypsy wedding’ as seen on television.
Think of Johnny Depp in ‘Chocolat‘, and Noomi Rapace in Guy Ritchies’ â€˜Sherlock Holmes 2â€²…..